Monday, March 29, 2010

My Will or Thy Will

I caught Oscar in the cleaning supply cabinet this morning having a good time experimenting with different cleaning products.
He was so excited about his new toys that he didn't want anything to do with my explanation that this particular cupboard was off limits.
After cleaning up I left him to a few toys in his room and peaked around the corner knowing he would soon return to the forbidden cupboard.
As you can imagine, within seconds he sat down in front of the cleaning supplies once again and began to pull everything out for investigation.
As I began to train and discipline Oscar in obeying he reacted with a piercing scream of defiance.
It occurred to me that Oscar was behaving in a way that shed light on my own behavior with the Lord.
As Oscar's mother I  am aware of the dangers of him playing with (and trying to put in his mouth) cleaning products. Unfortunately Oscar does not have the wisdom yet to comprehend the consequences of eating comet or spraying windex in his eye. I do, and so I protect him from his own desire. My desire is better for him than his desire is for himself. If he could understand me I would say, 'Oscar you think you want this but you don't, trust me if you knew that eating that bleach would hurt you, kill you or permanently deform your mind you would not want it.' He doesn't know this truth so he's going to have to trust and obey me.
Right now he doesn't just simply trust me, so I have to take measures to discipline him in love that he will obey and not eat comet and hurt himself. In his mind he just wants freedom to explore and play uninhibited. He thinks, "well, my will is to spray the windex bottle at my face that would be fun, mom's will is for me to have no fun." In fact my will for Oscar is for the most fun he can have, safety, love, a bright future with both eyes unharmed, and a most exciting life. He wouldn't get it if I tried to explain it, he is 19 months old. For now I guide him in this dangerous world in my knowledge and wisdom, I teach him and prepare a full future for him until he can make right decisions on his own.
It's beautiful to think about God's patience and guidance with us. Being the creator and our loving Father, He knows the dangers of our will. He knows our future and He is all wisdom and knowledge. He is omniscient, omnipresent... God is saying no to us when we want to eat comet and spray windex in our eyes not because He doesn't want us to have fun but because His will for us is better than our will for ourselves. I trust you Lord. I trust Your will over mine.
Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


I've prayed for things in the past that God never brought to us and I've been on my knees praying for things in my own understanding. Well, I recognize that I am not the one with the understanding. God is the one that knows all things. When I pray I ask God's will to be done, not mine but thine. 
What He wants for me is what I want anyway, but still I trust Him even though I cannot comprehend, I can rest assure His will is better for me than my will is for myself.

1 comment:

  1. What's wrong with "Oscar, since you didn't listen to mommy you'll have that scar to remind you for the rest of your life"?

    ReplyDelete