Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Focus Shifted



colossians 1:27
To them God has chosen to make known among the gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

I remember a few years back when I lived in Nashville I was driving home from a hard long day of work.
My thoughts were on our financial troubles and I couldn't get past the fact that no matter how hard Dave and I worked we would still be in debt for many years even at our aggressive pace.
I turned to the Lord in my despair. Soon into my prayer while driving a song I had not heard in years played in my mind.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.
As soon as I turned my eyes from the trouble onto Jesus the trouble disappeared.
I no longer saw the endless hours of work it would take to crawl out of the bondage of debt or the opportunities lost. I saw only Jesus.
The shocking thing is that Christ in all His glory moved inside of me. He did not shed any power or glory in the process. The same God that created, the great I AM, stepped into my flesh without stripping any of His power to be with me.
I am already full in Christ.
"You cannot put water into a full cup."-wells
I am already filled with the fullness of God.
(Ephesians 3:19)
God has a plan in my daily walk with Him. He has a plan even though I'm feeling the bondage of my debt He is working in me, through me and with that debt.
The peace that comes with releasing my will and knowledge of right and wrong to the Lord is all consuming.
I didn't know what He was doing in our debt but I trusted Him with it and I abandoned worrying about it. I kept my eyes on Jesus.
I'm reminded of this revelation as I am now faced with Jake's upcoming trial.
It's hard enough to wake up and realize all over again that Jakey is not getting ready for school in that moment....or that my parents are now alone in their home to a brand new silence they've never experienced in their home.
I once again give it to God and turn my gaze upon the one that loves me as far as the east is from the west. I cannot physically cope with the thought of Jake being shot and falling to the ground without me there to comfort him to catch him to tell him I love him more than life to be with him as he entered eternity...I have a hard time grasping this on my own but when I turn the eyes of my heart to Jesus I see all the beautiful truth.
One truth I see when looking into Jesus instead of my grief is to see that God surrounded Jake in His unfathomable love before Jake died. Jake's last words were "I love you"
The story behind that is for another post for now we can rest in that God was with him, which is better than me being there, God loves him more than I do.
I can also see the truth that God numbered Jake's days since before he was born.
and another truth is that Jake is in uncomprehendable glory experiencing the riches and glory of God in ways my mind cannot conceive.
When I look at Jesus I see that a silent home doesn't mean an empty home. God fills my parents home with His presence and He takes care of them and their hearts needs.
....when I turn my eyes upon Jesus the things of earth and my earthly understanding grow strangely dim in the light of His amazingness. Then we can see the truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment