Monday, October 25, 2010

Purpose, Identity and Motherhood

I look at this picture and I feel like I can completely relate... if only she were pregnant too.
Barefoot, pregnant, carrying laundry and child and walking up hill.
Mothers do it all.
I will not be able to address all my thoughts of purpose, identity and motherhood in this one post therefore I will continue thoughts and things I've learned in the next few posts.

I am now 35 weeks pregnant. Over the past few months as my skin has expanded into new territory and my accumulated fat has exceeded 45 extra pounds I've begun to face a bit of a self esteem issue.
Feeling my stomach muscles tearing a little bit more each day and battling the looming threat of stretch marks I pray, Lord I'd like to keep some form of my former figure.
The other day as I was frowning in the mirror,  I heard from the Lord. "You are beautiful." I heard Him say.
I felt this acceptance and love surge through my body. That was music to my soul coming from my Abba.
But why Lord, What makes a woman beautiful, I've been asking ever since.
What is a woman's purpose?
What is it about a woman that is beautiful?
I believe there is some mystery, some unrevealed treasures inside God's plan and design of His daughters.
Until all is revealed we know for now as a daughter of God we have been given roles, responsibilities and gifts uniquely our own.
One of them being Life Giver.
I think about the Seraphs (angels) in heaven praising God and the place filling with smoke and the temple shaking at their voice.
The result of their word is powerful yet they are not made in God's image. We are made in His image.
Imagine what happens when we praise God being His children and with the Son of God inside of us. As we dwell and abide in Christ the result of our words are powerful and irreplaceably purposeful.

Life giver is an attribute of God's given to us as a gift. We share this attribute with God almighty and through God in us.
It's a beautiful thing. We carrying God's children in our womb, in our very body for 9 months, give birth and then get to raise them.
The gift of life giver is not only through our bodies giving life to children but also through our word.
God created the universe by the Word. He spoke it into existence.
"The word became flesh and dwelt among us"(john 1:14)
And now the word lives in us! The word that became flesh is Jesus and Jesus lives in us. Our words are "powerful, sharper than any two edged sword" (hebrews 4:12)
The Word is Jesus and we speak the word and it is life giving and powerful.
How do we use the word to give life or to give death?
A sharp sarcastic word can do the opposite of giving life to the hearer.
God's word is alive and active in you.
Here are a few points I've gleaned from a recent study on truth and the word in us:
- God's words are omnipotent; because we have been created in His image, our words are potent
- Our words are potent no matter how we use them.
- God desires not only that His children believe truth but also that we speak it:"I believed; therefore I have spoken (2 cor 4:13)
- God ordains that words of faith have more power than thoughts of faith alone; (matt. 17:20)
Pray and speak with faith in His name.

Our opportunity is for Christ's life and His word to flow through us and create peace and life to the hearer. The hearer is our children and the world around us. Those of us who cannot have children do have the gift of life giver and they have the opportunity to plant seeds with the truth of God or with any encouragement that comes out of their mouth.
When God created the world he used His word and His word continues day after day second after second to create life since He spoke it.
Seeds still grow, animals continue to give birth, fish still live and produce and the universe still expands. I think space is ever growing. Molecules and adams continue to support and produce life all around us.
I think my own word spoken is powerful through Christ and I don't want to waste it or use it in my sin. It's a gift and I wonder if it's a special gift given to woman in a more life giving sort of way as life giver seems to be a main gift given to woman by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment