Monday, June 20, 2011

Money

real housewives of new york

I am a shameful fan of Real Housewives of ...any town actually. Real Housewives of Orange County or New York...I like them all.
I started as a "behind the couch" viewer.
With the  T.V. on that channel I walked around cleaning and getting things ready for the next day the show played in all it's earthly glory as I passed the living room watching it from behind the couch.

I remember the night the characters became alive to me with drama and sparkly cars and jewels which captured my drouling attention.
I stood with my mouth wide open fumbling to fold the same pair of size 2 toddler underware for half of the show watching Adrienne's personal chef cook dinner while she and her husband enjoyed playing with their two boys.

These woman are the epitome of the "american dream".
They are beautiful, they have lots of money and sparkly cars and diamonds.
I'm intrigued at the amount of help they get from employees, nannies, maids, personal CHEFS, home managers!

Looking at the picture above and watching the show as the characters unfold I can see clearly that their hearts desire is wealth, fame and happiness.

While flipping through the channels I came across a christian program with two hosts talking about money. What they were saying was very reasonable and even inspiring until they ended the show with a "ritual". I'm not sure who the ritual was directed to, God the holy spirit or the universe? They waved their hands around asking for prosperity, success and money. Something like "money money in, prosperity in...as they waved their arms and hands directing the blessings back to themselves.

I said "God they are obviously genuine people. They seem to truly love you but this feels very off to me. there is something not right about this."
I don't like to put God in my own box of understanding. For instance, I may be oblivious to God's moving in the charismatic believers yet I know His ways are bigger than mine and He does work in people differently than I see in my own view. In my own understanding of life.

But still this didn't sit right with me. As I sought the Lord for help in understanding why they had reports of this "ritual" working for them I heard God quote in my heart, "Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, i will do it." john 14:13-14
I think the point that I was to understand is that money seemed to be the desire of the hosts hearts.
Money and security is literally the desire of their heart and it is what they spend their time and energy asking God to give them.
What seems silly to me is that when people ask for money for security and for accumilation of wealth for their own pleasures it's not using their time here on earth wisely.

In the light of eternity money is of little value.
In Heaven wealth will not be the point. Wealth will be at everyone's doorstep. No one will be asking for more wealth there. All of God's children will be comfortable and "wealthy". But those with a revelation will be the rulers. Jesus is what matters and when you know this truth you can't help but want more and more and more of what matters.

When praying in Jesus name God will give us the desire of our hearts...
My desire is to know God more. I yearn for the revelation of Christ. I want the Son of God to be revealed in me more and more everyday. I want to know him intimately and desperately.
I know that God answers this prayer for me and I can rest assure He is already taking care of the other things in my life like money, security etc. Matthew 6:26 tells us that God is taking care of our needs already.
I do not want to waste my precious gift of recieving the desires of my heart on money.
All that will ever matter for all of eternity is Jesus. Why would I focus my attention on anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment