Monday, April 11, 2011

We Are Still in the Race!

(I wonder if we are being watched from above by the great cloud of witnesses in heaven and being cheered for as we walk through life our very own race before the rewards of eternity.)

When I was in track and cross country I loved to train with my team. We worked hard to improve our personal best times. We ran against each other pushing one another towards our personal best as well as our team best. We desired for each other to succeed and we had camaraderie and fellowship with one another through the hard days of running in the summer florida heat with humidity so thick it felt more like we were running in a sauna. We stuck by each other and pushed each other through the rainy practices and the 26 mile practices. On the days when we had races there was a buzz in the air.
The excitement of leaving school to go to a meet and run the race we had been training for all season was too much for us to bear. There was always lots of laughter and adrenaline on those days.

When it was my turn to walk to the starting line on the track my blood would pump through  my body so fast I would shake out of nervousness and anticipation of winning. My adrenaline pushed me so far off the start line when I heard the gun go off that I usually had a good head start. And lets just face the facts I usually won most of my races. :)

When my three races were finally over I would be relieved until I comfortably sat down to watch the others in their races on the track. That is when I would cheer for my team mates.
Everyone who was finished with their races would stand on the side lines and scream encouragements to our friends who were still running in the race.
We screamed a whole lot of... "GO GO GO GO! HE'S COMING UP BEHIND YOU! YOU CAN DO IT! ONE MORE LAP! JUST OOONE MORE LAP! YOU CAN WIN THIS!" 
If I had run a bad race that day I would long to have just one more race to run as I watched the others that were "so lucky" to still be in it with the opportunity to win!

The other night I was thinking about Jake and asked the Lord to tell Jake that I cannot wait to be with him again. That is when I had a thought that I believe came from the Holy Spirit.
Jake has run his race. he is finished now and on the side lines cheering us on.
He watches and prays for us as we round the corners and head for the finish line.
He screams out, "Keep moving! You're almost done! You're going to win this!".

We are in it now. It's not over for us yet.
We don't have a long way to go.
paul said "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3


Lets finish our race strong. The great cloud of witnesses that watches from the sidelines because their race is over cheer us on and praise God through our race.
We still have an opportunity to make our race count! 
I believe Christ is coming back for His church SOON but He isn't back yet and we are still running. We have an opportunity to move mountains while we are here. We can unashamed tell someone that does not know God about His Son Jesus and His forgiveness of sins...
We still get to love on someone that is unlovable and share the love and forgiveness of Christ that He gives us.
Our reward is waiting for us after the race. 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


It is better to run with purpose than to be in the race anyway and not run to win and to be in the race and not be fully surrendered to Jesus so that your race counts.
When it's all over you are going to be relieved and thankful to be done but if you did not run with perseverance and if you ran aimlessly as Paul talks about in 1 cor. 9 you will wish you had fixed your eyes on Jesus As the rewards are being handed out for those who did.



No comments:

Post a Comment